For the past few years, my partner has been managing a small beach resort on a tropical island called “Koh Lanta” in the Krabi Provenience, where they see waste washing up on the beautiful shores daily. During low season, they have to clean the beach up to 3 times a day based on tidal movements to remove waste (mostly plastic). During the season of 2017, he monitored their plastic straw usage for six months for their restaurant and bar. They tallied over 27,000 straws were provided for all beverages. That was an overwhelming number that could no longer be ignored. Together we have been researching a sustainable solution.
- Bamboo is considered a tropical plant (tropics) but can grow on every continent.
- There are over 1,500 species of bamboo that can be found in various parts of the world.
- Bamboo is a fast growing grass which quickly reaches maturity on average of 3-5 years.
- Bamboo is 100% bio degradable, strong and eco-friendly.
- Bamboo absorbs carbon dioxide and releases oxygen more than 30 times for the environment.
- Bamboo is very successful in controlling soil erosion.